Fully Automated ERW Tube Process-Control
The In-Line ERW High-Temperature Inspection System integrates into the production line between the weld cooling and annealing, where the pipe temperature is 100 °C (212 °F) or lower. A special self-cooling wedge combined with automatic alarms protect the phased array (PA) probe against excessive temperatures.
Using conventional ultrasonic (UT) and PA technology, the system inspects the internal and external surfaces of the ERW seam and the heat-affected zone (HAZ) in pipes ranging from 60.3 mm to 508 mm (2.4 in. to 20 in.) OD. Automatic weld tracking technology connected to servomotor-driven mechanisms helps ensure coverage of the region of interest.
The following typical defects are detected:
- Longitudinal cracks
- Through-drilled holes
- Lamination defects in the HAZ (up to 25 mm (1 in.) on each side of the weld)
Strict Standard Compliance for OCTG Tube Manufacturers
Completely automated, the In-Line ERW High-Temperature System’s phased array probe tracks and records the weld profile and the UT probes detect flaws in the welded area using the automatic positioning. This turnkey system gives ERW pipe manufacturers the tools to meet the inspection requirements of international standards:
- Automatically tracks the heat-affected zone (HAZ)
- Displays the profile of the weld in real time
- Automatically positions the flaw detection probe for optimal detection
- Minimizes dependence on operator skill
- Easy and fast changeover using preset probe holders and saved setup files
- Protects the phased array probe using a closed-loop cooling system