Optimized for full volumetric inspection of large-diameter square billets, bars, and blooms, the phased array technology and unique water-wedge design of this system provide high repeatability on small reference defects. The Square Billet Inspection System (SBIS) integrates easily into the production line since the need for an inspection tank has been eliminated. Its tankless design supports a high production capacity, making it easy to manipulate the billets during the fabrication process.
- Unique elastomer membrane of the water wedge requires only a thin film of water to provide reliable ultrasonic coupling with the product’s surface
- Two PA probes simultaneously inspect the full volume of products, covering a range of dimensions (see Specifications)
- Pneumatic actuators enable the probes to automatically adjust to the product size and adapt to geometrical variations.
- Electronic control of the probe enables you to set the active element to the product’s dimensions
- Eddy current array (ECA) probes can provide surface inspection of all four sides and corners when required
Two-sided inspection coverage provided by phased array probes on square bars of different dimensions
The SBIS reliably detects typical defects, such as ≥1.0 mm FBHs or elongated defects, at depths of:
- 50% of the nominal diameter
- 25% of the nominal diameter
- 5 mm from the back wall